In collaboration with the School of Social Work at UW-Madison, the Center for DREAMers provides training to MSW students to inform students of culturally responsive ways to provide support and services to DACAmented and undocumented individuals.
The center for DREAMers also provides culturally competent social and mental health services to DACAmented students through our referral program.
General Social Services Resources
- How to Support Students Experiencing Trauma (PDF)
- How to support students Experiencing Anxiety (PDF)
- Developing Psychotherapy Strategies to Foster Resilience and Prevent Trauma Among Immigrants
- Strengthening Communities of Support to Serve Immigrant Clients
Mental Health Resources
- Immigrants Rising’s Wellness Support Groups: Helps undocumented young people stay grounded and connected to the community
- United We Dream UndocuHealth Initiative
- Steve Fund: Non-profit organization dedicated to promoting the mental health and emotional well-being of college/university students of color. Below is their response to providing tips and resources for students of color and their families.
- Psychology Today: Online database to find therapists across the country. Primarily individuals that take insurance are listed in this database, however, some providers offer “sliding-scale” fees, which means sessions at a lower cost.
Community Mental Health Resources
- Sixteenth Street Community Health Center: Offers both behavioral health (including substance use counseling) medical services for residents in the surrounding Milwaukee area. They accept all individuals, regardless of having insurance or immigration status.
- Free Health Clinics in Dane County
- Low-Cost Dental Care Options in Dane County
Social Worker Resources
Recent MSW student Cristhabel Martinez, Program Assistant at the Center for Dreamers at UW-Madison and Executive Director of Wisconsin Dreamers, presented information about DACA and Wisconsin’s undocumented student population, as well as the role of social workers in advancing immigration justice.